Zach’s grandmother made these every Christmas for us until she died a few years ago. They quickly became one of my favorite cookies. They are so addicting. So I had to find the recipe, thankfully, Zach’s mom had it and passed it along. Unfortunately, it makes about 14 dozen cookies…far too many for our small family…so I’m scaled it down to 1/3.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl, in the order given and mash, knead and squeeze until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Form the dough into small balls and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Butter the bottom of a small glass, dip into granulated sugar then mash the balls flat.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in order to firm up then move to paper towels.